Shampoo and Lotion: Best to Worst was created because sometimes I don’t feel like making my own stuff, or I don’t have the time, or someone in my family wants something different.
I would like to be able to grab something at a local store and feel like I’m making an OK choice. But I definitely can’t rely on labels. This day everything is “All Natural”, though how that is defined is shockingly loose.
- I went into Walmart and made a list of their shampoos and lotions (though I can’t imagine using any other lotion than my homemade now).
- I looked up each brand on EWG’s Cosmetic Database
- I listed the brands in order of toxicity, from the least to the worst. Most brands have some products that are better than others. This made the listing very difficult. Thus, I listed them according to the average number.
Skin Deep is not the be all and end all to information, but it does a really good job ranking products based on ingredients.
Aroma does play a strong role in their ranking, (Most man-made aromas are toxic which is why I have been baffled to find that many people are fine with adding Fragrance oils to their natural recipes. It sort of defeats the purpose.) as well as other ingredients that are known carcinogens, or ingredients where not enough information is known about them.
Ranking: 0-2 (Low Hazard), 3-6 (moderate Hazard), 7-10 (High Hazard)
Summary: The lowest toxicity number for all shampoos below, except Finesse, is 4! I was really wanting lower.
Finesse had a product ranked at 3, yet the brand had the largest range with one product as high as 7. Other than the extremes, they are not that different from one another.
If you want to grab a product and don’t want to accidentally grab one with high toxicity, you’re likely to get a product with a ranking of 4 and no higher if you go for Aveeno, Herbal Essence, or Pert.
Sometimes it helps if you find one with no fragrances (hypoallergenic or fragrance free) and stay away from any with sun block.
The only way you really know is if you do your homework ahead of time, make your own, or know the meaning of all the terms on the back of the bottle.
*note: the below information includes shampoo+conditioner products if available.
Shampoo From Best to Worst
1) Herbal Essence – 27 products all ranking 4 (Average 4)
2) Pert – 4 products ranking 4 (Average 4).
3) Finesse – 9 products ranking 3-7 (Average 4)
- Best Shampoo ranking 3: Finesse Clean & Simple Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Normal Hair – or color treated hair
- Worst shampoo ranking 7: Finesse ReVitality Shampoo
4) Aveeno – 6 shampoos ranking 4-5 (Average 4)
- Worst Shampoo, the only one ranking 5: Aveeno Active Naturals Pure Renewal Dry Shampoo (5)
5) Pantene – 52 products ranking 4-5 (Average 4)
6) Head and Shoulders – 24 products ranking 4-5 (Average 4)
7) Axe – 9 shampoos ranking 4-5 (Average 4)
8) Dove – 12 shampoos ranking 4-6 (Average 5)
- Worst product ranking 6: Dove Style + Care Invigorating Dry Shampoo
9) Suave – 30 products ranking 4-6 (Average 5)
- Worst product ranking 6: Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Dry Shampoo
10) Tresemme -5 products ranking 4-5 (Average 5)
- Only shampoo ranking 4 – TRESemme Split Remedy Split End Shampoo
11) Garnier Fructus – 17 shampoos ranking 4-7 (Average 5)
- Worst Shampoo ranking 7: Color shield ranked the highest (7)
(Prell had only one product listed ranking 5: Prell Shampoo, For All Hair Types)
Summary: The top 6 brands have a choice ranking only 2! Much better choice than the shampoos.
If you like one of those brands, find that product and see if it works for you. You really need to stay away from Dial and Gold Bond lotions!
1) Aveeno -15 products ranking 2-9 (Average 2-3). Mostly 2s and 3s with the one 9.
- One of the Best Products ranking 2: Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion
- Worst Product ranking 9: Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Radiant Tinted Moisturizer, Medium Sheer Tint – SPF product driving ranking up.
2) Eucerin – 11 products ranking 2-5 (Average 3)
- Best Product ranking 2: Eucerin Smoothing Repair Dry Skin Lotion
- Worst Product ranking 5: Eucerin Daily Replenishing Lotion
3) Curel – 9 products ranking 2-5 (Average 4)
- Best Product ranking 2: Curel Moisture Lotion Ultra Healing Lotion for Extra Dry Skin
- Worst Product ranking 5: Curel Moisture Lotion Skin Nourishing Deep Conditioning Lotion for Rough, Dry Skin, Moisturizer with Shea Butter
4) Suave – 4 products ranking 2-6 (Average 4)
- Best Product ranking 2:Suave Natural Oatmeal Moisturizer
- Worst Product ranking 6: Suave Naturals Body Lotion, Mango Mandarin
5) Vaseline – 12 products ranking 2-8 (Average 4)
- Best Product ranking 2: Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Butter Vitalizing Gel Body Oil with Brazillian Nut and Almond Oils
- Worst Product ranking 8: Vaseline Total Moisture Light Feeling Lotion, Aloe Fresh
6) Lubriderm – 13 ranking 2-8 (Average 5).
- Best Product ranking 2: Lubriderm Daily Moisture Dermatologist Developed Lotion, Normal To Dry Skin
- Worst Products ranking 8: Lubriderm Advanced Therapy Lotions
7) Nivea – 23 ranking 3-8 (Average 5).
- Best Products ranking 3: Nivea Body Essentially Enriched Daily Lotion for Very Dry, Rough Skin, Nivea Body Original Moisture Daily Lotion with Vitamin E
- Worst Products ranking 8: Nivea for Men Protective Moisturizer, Nivea for Men Revitalizing Lotion Q10
8) Keri – 4 Products ranking 4-5 (Average 5)
- Only product ranking 4: Keri Basic Essentials Hypoallergenic Lotion, Fragrance Free
9) Olay – 16 products ranking 4-6 (Average 5)
- 7 products ranked 4, one product is: Olay Advanced Healing Intensive Lotion
- 5 products ranked 6, one product is: Olay Body Quench Body Lotion, Deep Moisture
10) St. Ives – 8 products ranking 5-6 (Average 5)
- Only product ranking 6: St. Ives Body Lotion, Naturally Smooth Natural Fruit AHA Complex
11) Jergens – 13 products ranking 3-7 (Average 6)
- Best Product ranking 3: Jergens Daily Moisture Dry Skin Moisturizer with Silk Proteins, Fragrance Free
- Worst Product ranking 6: Jergens Original Scent Cherry-Almond Moisturizer
12) Dial – 6 products ranking 3-9 (Average 7)
- Best product ranking 3: Dial NutriSkin Replenishing Lotion, Dry
- Worst Product ranking 9: Dial NutriSkin Replenishing Hand and Body Lotion, Soothing
13) Gold Bond – 11 products ranking 6-10 (Average 7)
- Best Products ranked 6: One of the best is – Gold Bond Ultimate Soothing Skin Therapy Lotion, Fragrance Free
- Worst Product ranking 10!: Gold Bond Ultimate Sheer Ribbons Body Lotion, Silk Softness
(Aquaphor had only 1 product listed so it was hard to rank but the ranking was 1: Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment)
***If your brand is not on here, feel free to check out http://ewg.org/skindeep
***Your brand may be listed, but your individual product is no longer seen as new (older products are moved to a different location and not included in this data).