Crockpot Sauerkraut and Kielbasa
This post may contain Affiliate Links. Thank you for your support!
Now that your ready to make your Homemade Sauerkraut full of all those wonderful probiotics,here’s a Polish recipe to go with it: Crockpot Sauerkraut and Kielbasa
Crockpot Sauerkraut and Kielbasa is a healthy dish for when you have a couple of minutes in the morning or early afternoon and want to throw something together for supper, but don’t have a lot of time.
It’s also a recipe that has lots of versatility. I’ve had this recipe with apple slices and brown sugar instead of sage and thyme, various kinds of sausgae, potatoes and no potatoes; the variety is up to your imagination. This version with sage and thyme is definitely my favorite.
Most people who have never liked sauerkraut because of its…well, sourness, or because they’ve had some that was too salty, have never had homemade. You can make it less sour by not fermenting it as long, and the spices give this dish an amazing flavor. If you’ve never had it, try something new . You can even get some sauerkraut from the grocery store if you have to – but it’s not as good as homemade 😉
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1-2 Garlic cloves, crushed and diced
- 1 lb Kielbasa (or favorite sausage), sliced
- 1 Quart Homemade Sauerkraut and it's juices
- 3 Potatoes, cubed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Thyme
- ½ - 1 tsp Sage
- Cook onion and garlic in a medium-sized skillet until onions are translucent and kielbasa is browned.
- Place in slow cooker along with all the other ingredients. Add more water if liquid from sauerkraut is not enough.
- Mix and let cook on low for 4 hours.
- Serve alone or over mashed potatoes.
Linked to some of these blogs.