End of the Garden Soup Recipe
This post may contain Affiliate Links. Thank you for your support!
This End of the Garden Soup Recipe is a lot like what my mom used to call “Left-Over Soup”, because you basically take what you have in the refrigerator, add a few things from the cupboard, and there you go: an amazing, healthy, and delicious soup filled with delicious food that might have gone to waste otherwise.
Actually, my mom is the best person I know to be able to pull something together for surprise guests. When we lived in Zimbabwe, there were those surprises almost daily. At least, it seemed that way to me growing up. And those surprise guests …there could be 10 or even 20 of them at a time. Imagine having to deal with that on a regular basis. Well, God prepared her for it. She wouldn’t even sweat it. She’d go put on some tea and get a giant pot out and start throwing things in. You gotta admit, as long as you have a great loaf of bread and a good soup, you have a great meal!
This year, I sadly noticed that my garden was about done with most of the crops. Well, I shouldn’t say sadly. Harvest time is a time of rejoicing. I just wish everything didn’t have to start dying, but such is life. Anything that hadn’t already been processed into jars and the freezer was left out to make this amazing soup.
What you Need
- Most of all you need the base: an AWESOME Homemade Beef Broth! Learn How to make your own Here. This is super important to have canned or in your freezer so you can grab some out for just such days as these. It’s also good in Homemade Pasta e Fagioli.
- What’s left? Tomatoes? Peppers? Onions? Carrots? Celery? Potatoes? Throw it in!
Be creative with what you have left from your garden and what you have in your fridge, whether that be rice, noodles, etc.
I’ll show you what I did down below. It ended up being fabulous!
The recipe for the bread in this picture can be found HERE.
- 6 cups beef broth (see link above for how to make your own)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup chopped green beans, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 banana peppers, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Basil (dried)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown beef and onion in a skillet, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add beef broth to a large stock pot.
- Add beef and vegetables.
- Add basil and simmer until vegetables are tender
Linked to some of these great blogs.