Yes, I had to say it is the Best Salmon Rub Ever…because it just is 🙂 My husband used a recipe about 15 years ago, but added a little bit more of this, some different that, and our friends started calling it “Matthew’s Delight”, asking him to cook it when they came around. So here I am sharing the ‘ol secret recipe! Actually, as the saying goes, “There’s nothing new under the sun,” but it’s one of our dishes that my kids jump up and down for when I say it’s what’s for dinner.
Side Ideas and Pointers
I like to keep it simple (of course), so I actually make up this recipe x3 and keep it in a jar in my cupboard. Then it’s ready to go.
Usually in the winter we will have steamed brown rice and stir fried broccoli cooked with ghee instead of oil. In the summer I may put a piece of foil on our grill and grill the salmon next to fresh asparagus, lightly salted (I could eat that stuff like candy!). Mashed potatoes are always good with salmon too.
Best Salmon Rub Recipe Ever
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Paprika
- ¼ cup Chili Powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2-4 Tbsp coconut oil
- juice from one whole lemon
- Combine all ingredients and store in airtight jar.
- Rub onto both sides of thawed or fresh salmon.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat and add 2-4 Tbsp coconut oil.
- After oil is melted and skillet is hot, gently lay salmon flat.
- Grill 3-5 minutes each side (depending on thickness). You will see that it is no longer bright pink, but a more opaque whitish pink. Do not over cook.
- Serve immediately, bringing extra lemon juice to the table (we like the added zing from the lemon).
What’s your favorite side dish with salmon?