Those of us who blow dry, curl, or straighten our hair can use the advantages of using oil protection for heat damaged hair.
My hair has always been a bit curly and out of control. Sometimes I like to scrunch it and leave it that way. Other times I like to straighten it. At least now, I have learned to plan washing my hair for when it can dry naturally. No blow dryer! I used to blow dry it straight and there was a lot of heat damage. My hair is so thick that it took at least 15 minutes straight of high heat. Now I will use a flat iron…yeah, not much better, but there is oil protection for heat damaged hair, or prevention from heat damage I should say.
There are a lot of products in the stores designed specifically to help protect your hair from heat. I took a look at a few popular ones….and it does NOT look good.
Store Bought Options
Most Choices are Something like This:
Redken Satinwear 02 Ultimate Blowdry Lotion – Ingredients: Aqua/water, propylene glycol, dimethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, guarhydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, polyacrylamide, phenoxyethanol, parfum/fragrance, vinyl caprolactam/VP/dimethylsminoethyl, methacrylate copolymer, dimethiconol, hydroxyprpyl guar, C13-14 isoparaffin, laureth-23, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, laureth-4, methylparaben, isopropyl, myristate, laureth-7, ethylparaben, disodium EDTA……..That’s not even HALF!!
Kiehl’s Heat-Protective Silk-Straightening Serum – Ingredients: Aqua / Water / Eau, C13-16 Isoparaffin, Propylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Peg/Ppg-17/18 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Carbomer, Potato Starch Modified, Aminomethyl Propanol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Hydroxypropyl Guar, Polyquaternium-4,… And On and ON!
There were a even a few that I thought were doing good UNTIL …
Ouidad Climate Control Heat Humidity Gel and Bumble and Bumble Tonic Lotion start out with ingredients like Rosemary leaf extract, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, Kiwi extract and Henna. THEN, the rest of the list goes something like this: Propylene Glycol, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Dimethicone Copolyol, Dimethicone, Polyquaternium-28, Glycerin, PPG-26-Buteth-25, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PVP/DMAPA Acrylates Copolymer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone ……..What??? To start off so good and then…
You get the picture
Notice that they all begin with water so that they feel like they are moisturizing going on, but as soon as that evaporates, there’s not much left (but harsh chemicals) on your hair.
Oil Protection for Heat Damaged Hair
Oils to Use:
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
These 3 oils are known to be sealants and hair protectors. They don’t just sit on top of the hair, but are soaked into it. They also contain good nutrients and vitamins like E, A, and B12.
- Castor Oil
- Olive Oil
- Aloe Vera
The above plants and oils are also amazing for hair:
Castor oil has been used for centuries as a carrier for deep conditioning and styling (rumored as one of the choice oils of the Egyptians).
Rosemary was used by many of our ancestors to help thinning hair, and in fact it does rejuvenate hair follicles.
While, Aloe Vera, like Avocado oil and coconut, work to create shine and protects without any greasy build up.
You can easily use one or all of the above oils to add shine, stop frizz, and help keep your hair healthy. It’s especially a good habit to be in if you ever use a blow dryer or irons. Don’t be afraid of it being greasy. There are a lot of different hair types. Use a tiny bit on the ends at first until you figure out how much you need.
Method to Use:
- Wet Hair: Put a little on your finger tips and rub into the ends of your hair before drying. Start with very little until you know what your hair needs.
- Dry Hair: Same as above method.
- Deep Conditioning: Massage into scalp and down to ends of hair. Leave in for as long as possible. Wash out with Homemade Shampoo. If you ever have oily build-up, put some baking soda in your hand while in the shower and massage through hair. It will feel weird, but that’s ok. It rinses out great and leaves your hair with no build-up. Follow with your normal conditioner or a half water, half apple cider vinegar mixture to return your hair’s ph to normal.
2 Recipes for Protection and Healing
#1 Simple Hair Oil
- Choose your favorite: coconut, avocado, or sweet almond oil.
- Apply as stated above.
#2 Deep Conditioning Hair Oil
- 1 Tbsp castor oil
- ¼ cup fractionated coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
- Combine oils in a 8 oz jar
- Use 1 Teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon of oil at a time.
- Place oil on your finger tips.
- Focus on rubbing into roots of hair to encourage growth and ends of hair to help seal and heal.
Let us know what your method is for keeping your hair conditioned and healthy.