I love my homemade deodorant. It’s just that simple. It’s cheap, made with great ingredients, and I can make it smell however I like.
I use my recipe for solid deodorant throughout the year, but especially in the winter. With my solid deodorant, coconut oil melts about 76 degrees Fahrenheit. So I need to keep it in the fridge on hot days. That’s fine since it is refreshingly cool.
Yet, another wonderful choice, becoming my favorite because of how completely easy it is, is spray on deodorant.
The ingredients really make sense!
Witch Hazel is a great astringent. That means it will close your pores and you will sweat less in your armpits. Sweat is not a bad thing. It helps release toxins from your body and cleanse your pores. But we don’t necessarily want to sweat very much from our armpits because bacteria there begins to stink.
Baking Soda is an odor and sweat absorber.
Essential Oils are great for killing bacteria and giving your body a smell that you choose instead.
Aloe Vera is very healing to your skin and an anti-inflammatory. It’s soothing effects are wonderful in deodorants.
Alcohol also helps to kill bacteria and has a drying effect that will help with sweat.
Which Essential Oils to Use:
- Clary Sage is a natural astringent. It’s great in deodorants, but it should not be used for pregnant women or those who have hormonal issues (I can’t use it, but I know many women who do).
- Tea Tree oil is a great anti-bacterial
- Lavender Essential Oil soothes the skin.
- Citrus oils such as orange, grapefruit, and lemon.
- And Other oils that you just love the smell of like Ylang Ylang, Neroli, lemon grass, or peppermint. Try on your wrist first to see if you are sensitive to the oil. A number of essential oils are potent and require dilution in a carrier oil (or in the deodorant) before use.
Homemade Spray or Roll On Deodorant
Simple Witch Hazel Spray Deodorant
- Mix ingredients in a spray bottle.
- Shake before each use.
Witch Hazel Spray Deodorant
- Add witch hazel, aloe vera, baking soda and your favorite essential oils to a small spray bottle.
- Shake well before each use.
Alcohol Spray Deodorant
- ¼ cup Rubbing Alcohol
- 5-10 drops Essential Oil of Choice
- Combine ingredients in a spray bottle
- Shake and use.
Linked to some of these great blogs.