Monkey Bread is such a delicious treat for breakfast, tea, or any ‘ol time. Making Monkey Bread from Scratch is kind of a rarity today, though. If you look for recipes online you will find plenty that are made from pre-made raw dough which is full of food coloring (yes, a lot have that lovely petroleum food coloring), gmo corn and soy, and preservatives.
Making your own monkey bread from scratch only takes about 5 extra minutes, is healthier for you, and the kids love it!
My kids were a lot younger the last time we made monkey bread so they don’t remember it. But they had a blast when we made it the other day. Not only do they get to help make the dough, but they get to tear off chunks, roll it in butter, cinnamon and sugar, pile it in a dish and see what happens.
It’s definitely a kid friendly dish, because it pulls apart easily – no slicing etc. And this also makes it great for get togethers, potlucks, and when your kids have friends over.
Monkey Bread from Scratch
- Combine yeast, warm water, sugar, oil, and whole wheat flour in a large bowl. Let set until it begins to bubble (5-10 minutes).2-1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast, 1 cup warm water, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Whisk in egg. Combine salt and flour and add to yeast mixture. Add enough flour so that you can handle the dough. Knead until smooth.4-1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour, 1 egg, 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Tear off chunks (about golf ball size) and roll them into a ball.
- Roll dough balls in butter, then in cinnamon and sugar mixture and put them in a greased shallow dish, or a bunt pan (really, anything works). Let rise for 30 minutes.1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons cinnamon powder
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.