Best Ever Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies
This post may contain Affiliate Links. Thank you for your support!
These cookies really are the best ever oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! The recipe has been asked for over and over again.
It’s an amazing recipe that is always a hit. I make other types of cookies and my family says they are good, but asks why I didn’t make oatmeal chocolate chip. They are that good.
Since we don’t eat a lot of sugar, I take the amount of white sugar down to a 1/2 cup. If you’re looking for a standard cookie sweetness you’ll want to keep it at 1 cup. For a “breakfast cookie” I’ve made them with only the brown sugar and my kids still ate them up. They are more like muffins. The chocolate chips add enough sweetness.
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup unbleached white sugar (1 like it less sweet so I use ½-3/4 cup)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons homemade vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached white flour (I use 1 cup whole wheat, 1 cup white)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups oats (option: blend for a smoother texture)
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 1 8oz chocolate bar, grated (optional)
- 1½ cups chopped nuts (optional)
- Heat your oven to 375F.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl the butter, applesauce, sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, oats, chocolate chips, grated chocolate bar and nuts (if adding).
- Combine ingredients of both bowls until mixed thoroughly.
- Spoon onto cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 minutes. They should just be beginning to brown. This will keep them soft and gooey. Bake longer for a harder, crunchier cookie.
Linked to some of these great blogs.