These cookies really are the best ever oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! The recipe has been asked for over and over again.
It’s an amazing recipe that is always a hit. I make other types of cookies and my family says they are good, but asks why I didn’t make oatmeal chocolate chip. They are that good.
Since we don’t eat a lot of sugar, I take the amount of white sugar down to a 1/2 cup. If you’re looking for a standard cookie sweetness you’ll want to keep it at 1 cup. For a “breakfast cookie” I’ve made them with only the brown sugar and my kids still ate them up. They are more like muffins. The chocolate chips add enough sweetness.
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup unbleached white sugar (1 like it less sweet so I use ½-3/4 cup)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons homemade vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached white flour (I use 1 cup whole wheat, 1 cup white)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups oats (option: blend for a smoother texture)
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 1 8oz chocolate bar, grated (optional)
- 1½ cups chopped nuts (optional)
- Heat your oven to 375F.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl the butter, applesauce, sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, oats, chocolate chips, grated chocolate bar and nuts (if adding).
- Combine ingredients of both bowls until mixed thoroughly.
- Spoon onto cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 minutes. They should just be beginning to brown. This will keep them soft and gooey. Bake longer for a harder, crunchier cookie.
Linked to some of these great blogs.