I obviously like to keep things simple; simple and homemade as much as possible. So you know that when I tell you these Easter Egg Nest Cupcakes are easy, that I am being serious. They look like they are so difficult, yet were so fun and easy.
My kids helped, which was fun, and then we took them to our Sunday church gathering and everyone loved them!
- 3 sticks salted butter*
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- 1 -1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 2 -1/4 cups flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2-1/4 tsp baking powder
- 6 eggs
- 2 -1/4 cup granulated cane sugar
- 3 tsp homemade vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups yogurt or sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine butter, chocolate chips, and cocoa in a double boiler over med-low heat and stir until melted. If you don't have a double boiler, put a glass bowl over a saucepan that has 2 in. of water boiling in it.
- Stir until melted and remove from heat.
- While your chocolate is cooling, combine flour, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl.
- Stir in eggs, sugar, vanilla, and yogurt into chocolate mixture. Add flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Place muffin cup liners in muffin pan and fill ¾ full.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until fork inserted comes out clean. Remove from pan and allow to cool fully.
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 2 tsp homemade vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp milk
- 8 cups confectioner's sugar
- Add butter, vanilla, and milk to a large bowl or stand mixer.
- Beat in confectioner's sugar one cup at a time until fluffy.
Easter Egg Nest Cupcakes Decorating Instructions:
Pipe the icing in a circle to cover the entire top surface. If you don’t have a cake decorating tool, cut a small hole into a zip-top bag.
Pipe an extra few circles around the outer edges to build up the “nest”. Place chocolate candy eggs in the middle.
If you want to make the nest look even better, add toasted coconut. Just place the coconut on a cookie sheet and put it toward the bottom of the oven under the broiler (It browns fast). Watch it carefully and remove when browned. Sprinkle over cupcakes. Place chocolate candy eggs in the middle.