You know you’ve finally found the right crust recipe when your kids are comparing great pizzas and they say, “They still don’t beat your crust.”
That took a lot of effort.
Making a pizza crust that has any whole wheat flour is difficult because it can be too tough, thick, chewy (I had to learn to spread the dough out thin enough so it wouldn’t end up 2 inches thick as well).
Through trial, error, and some learned technique, I have a crust that’s tasty enough and thin enough that everyone loves it and comes back for more. I hope you like it to.
White flour works wonderfully for this recipe, but we prefer to use half whole wheat, half unbleached white flour. Use what your family is used to. if you’re trying to use more whole wheat, then introduce it slowly in larger quantities in your recipes.
The Best Pizza Crust Recipe
- Dissolve yeast in water, oil, and sugar for about 5 minutes.2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast, 2 cups warm water, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Add 2 cups of flour and salt. Mix together. Slowly add flour until you have a nice soft dough. Knead for 5 minutes. Cover and let rise for about an hour.4-5 cups unbleached all purpose flour, 1 tablespoon salt
- Punch down dough and divide into two balls. On a lightly greased pizza pan or cookie sheet, spread out each pizza dough until thin.
- Baking time will vary depending on thickness, but plan on 20 minutes in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven.
Favorite Bread Sticks
And what goes best with pizza? Why, breadsticks of course. This is my favorite bread stick recipe that I’ve developed.
These are Pizza Hut style; made in a pan and then sliced apart. You can always roll them into sticks and place them on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until they just begin to brown (Don’t over bake.).
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.1-1/2 cups warm water, 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- Add oil, flour and salt. Knead for 5 minutes.2 tablespoons olive oil, 3-1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt
- Place dough in a greased 9x13in. glass dish and spread with fingers until flat. Use a pizza cutter to cut into 12 breadsticks (2 rows of 6). Sprinkle with garlic powder, cheese, and oregano.garlic powder, parmesan cheese, oregano as desired
- Cover and let rise for 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes.