These are my Top 2 Bread Recipes. They are my “go to” recipes whenever I need to whip up a loaf.
I know they will always rise wonderfully
I know they will always taste great.
The first one is a recipe that I use to make sandwich bread. It holds up without crumbling to bits, so it slices wonderfully. You can throw it in your bread maker, or knead and bake it in a loaf pan (I suggest a glass one like this because I do not use aluminum). And it only has 6 ingredients.
Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
- 1-1/4 cup warm water
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3-1/2 cups flour (100% whole wheat, or ½ whole wheat and ½ unbleached white)
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine wet and dry ingredients separately, then combine.
- Knead for 5-10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Place in glass baking dish, cover, and let rise for 1hr.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 min.
This second recipe is for the bread I make with meals. We can seriously eat both loaves right out of the oven!! It is so incredibly good that whoever I make it for asks for the recipe. You can braid it, twist it, form it into a ball, or throw it into a dish. I’ve done it all and it works great. Like I said, a super tasty no fail bread.
- 4-1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 1 Tbs water (for egg wash)
- 1 Tbs salt
- 6-7 cups flour (I use 1- 2 cups whole wheat, 5 cups unbleached white)
- Add warm water to active dry yeast.
- After yeast dissolves, add sugar and oil.
- Beat eggs and remove 2 Tbsp for egg wash. Add 1 Tbsp water to egg wash. Set aside.
- Combine salt with a cup of flour so it doesn't clump, and add flour to wet ingredients until it forms a soft dough.
- Knead for 5 minutes, cover, and let rise for 45 min-1 hour.
- After risen, punch down and divide in half. Divide each half into thirds and shape each into a rope (see below).
- Braid and place on greased pan, cover, and let rise for a second time (15-20min.).
- Gently brush with egg wash.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25min.