Summer Berries and Cream means mouthwatering berry de-light!
I really love blueberries. We just recently planted a few blueberry bushes that are starting to produce. They take many years to really get to a nice size (about 5 ft tall) where they produce thousands of berries. Until then, we will continue to get excited over each ripe berry that we eat immediately (and manage to keep away from the birds).
My strawberries are also doing well. Growing up, I never knew that strawberries are a perennial type of plant, putting down roots and regrowing. If we can get the bunnies to leave them alone long enough, we’ll have another good year for strawberries. I’ve already put a lot in my freezer.
Summer Berries and Cream is a popular recipe to make around Independence Day, Memorial Day, or Labor Day picnics because of it’s red, white, and blue colors, but it is just beautiful whether it’s relates to those celebrations or not. The light cream cheese flavor within the cream combined with the berries just screams summer to me.
You can also make this with lots of variety. If you don’t care for cream cheese, only add 8oz instead of 16oz, or don’t add any at all and just make it literally berries and cream.
You can also add different fruits like fresh sliced peaches.
Summer Berries and Cream
- 16 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 4 cups whipping cream
- ½ up sugar
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- Place the cream cheese in a bowl and whip. Make sure it is softened or you will end up with clumps.16 ounces cream cheese
- In a stand mixer, whip the cream, slowly adding the sugar. Whip until soft peaks form. When the cream is ready, gently pour it into the cream cheese and fold carefully until it is combined.4 cups whipping cream, 1/2 up sugar
- Slice the strawberries into quarters. Set aside with blueberries.1 pint strawberries, 1 pint blueberries
- In a glass bowl, layer the whipped cream mixture, strawberries, and blueberries, and repeat.
Note: If you’re short on time, you can use store bought whipped cream and omit the 1/2 cup of sugar.