This post may contain Affiliate Links. Thank you for your support!
This is definitely a family favorite! They like it because it’s full of those wonderful Mexican flavors. I love it because I can whip it up super quick and know everyone will be happy.
For friends coming over, you can always add some spanish rice and/or salad if you like, though this is enough by itself for my family. Nice and simple.
- 1 lb ground beef
- ¼ cup homemade taco seasoning (see below)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 32 oz (4 cups) diced tomatoes
- 24-32 oz (3-4 cups) refried beans
- 8 homemade tortillas
- 8 oz (1 cup) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook beef, onion, and taco seasoning in skillet over medium heat until meat is fully cooked.
- Add tomatoes and beans.
- Remove from heat and add half of mixture into a 9in x 14in casserole dish.
- Place 4 tortillas over meat mixture and then sprinkle half of shredded cheese over the tortillas.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes or until top begins to brown.
Enchilada Casserole Step by Step with Pictures:
Cook beef, onion, and taco seasoning in skillet over medium heat until meat is fully cooked. Add tomatoes and beans. I cook my own pinto beans until soft and then blend them in a blender, freezing in jars until I am ready to use.
Once most of liquid is cooked off of meat mixture, remove from heat and add half of mixture into a large casserole dish. Place 4 tortillas over meat mixture and then sprinkle half of shredded cheese over the tortillas. Repeat.
Bake in 400 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes or until top begins to brown. Enjoy.
I use this taco seasoning in the enchilada casserole recipe, as well as when we eat burritos, tacos, quesadillas, sometimes I’ll throw some in when I’m making some rice as well. Some people use spices, but not herbs….but you can’t make real Mexican food without at least oregano!! Oregano and Chili powder goes great together.
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup onion powder
- 1/8 cup cumin
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T oregano
- 1 T Paprika
- 1 T salt
- Put all ingredients in a jar and shake. Mine has always stayed nice and has never clumped together.
- Shake well before use to make sure everything is mixed well.
- Use 3 T to 1/4 cup (depending on taste) to 1 pound of ground beef.
Featured in http://house2housemagazine.com
Linked to some of these great blogs.