These 4 Herbal Skin Toners are useful for many reasons. Before I started using homemade products, my face often felt stripped after I washed it. My skin has always been of a dry instead of oily complexion, but no matter what your complexion is, it’s a great idea to use a toner before applying a lotion. It helps to rejuvenate your skin, shrink pores, and get it to accept the lotion or oils you are going to apply.
I especially like the last toner recipe below: Acne Astringent Toner, because it shrinks my pores lovely and goes great with my Anti-Aging Serum. I think I look younger now than I did ten years ago when my body was under so much stress.
Choose the best 4 Herbal Skin Toners that suits your needs below.
1) Comfrey and Oats Toner
This combination of comfrey and oats is quick and easy to prepare. Comfrey soothes the skin, and the oats draw oil and residues out of the skin. It will not dry out your skin and should last in a container for a long time if it is kept sterile.
- 1/2 cup dried comfrey leaf
- 1/2 cup whole organic oats
- Blend both ingredients in a mixer until they make a fine powder.
- Place 1 Tablespoon of the scrub on the palm of your hand. Pour about 1/2 Tablespoon of water (or yogurt) on top and mix with your finger until it is a creamy paste.
- Rub onto your face with your hands, or a soft, wet cloth or sponge. Gently scrub face.
- Rinse with water.
- Store and use for 6 months by keeping sterile. Always use a clean dry Tablespoon to dip it out, and never your hand.
2) Chamomile Toner
This toner goes a long way. It seems to last forever and there’s very little mess in using it. The apple cider vinegar helps to tone your ski, conditioning it so that it is not dried out, while the chamomile reduces any inflammation from puffy eyes or acne and soothes the skin.
• 2 cups filtered water
• 1/2 cup raw apple cider vinegar
• 1/2 cup dried chamomile flowers
- Heat water in a kettle until it is hot. It does not need to boil.
- Pour water into a jar and add chamomile flowers.
- Screw on airtight lid and shake.
- Allow mixture to cool.
- Add vinegar and place in a warm, dark place for 1 week, shaking daily.
- After the one week, strain toner through a mesh strainer and discard chamomile leaves.
- I pour about 1 Tablespoon into the palm of my hand after washing my face, rub my hands together and rub all over my face.
3) Mint and Vinegar Skin Toner
This toner, pictured above, helps restore acidity to the skin, keeping it toned, healthy, and resistant to infection. All skin types benefit from using vinegar. It helps control blackheads in oily skin and cures flakiness in very dry skin. The fresh mint leaves a cooling sensation on your skin.
- 1 Tablespoon dried peppermint leaves
- 2 Tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup distilled water
- Mix together all ingredients, then pour into a clean container and let sit for 3 days.
- Strain or filter out all solids and pour into a clean bottle with a tight-fitting lid.
- To use: Apply to clean skin with a cotton pad.
4) Herbal Acne Astringent
I love this because it is so well rounded for any individual or skin type. The witch hazel is an astringent and will help close pores, while the herbs will help to heal, sooth, and purify your pores.
- 2 cups non-alcohol witch hazel
- 2 Tablespoons echinacea root
- 2 Tablespoons comfrey root
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients in an airtight jar and shake.
- Place jar in a dark, warm place and shake daily for 2 to 3 weeks.
- The mixture will be the color of iced tea when ready. Strain.
- Apply astringent with a cotton ball, up to twice daily. Use for 6 months to 1 year.
Geranium Skin Toner:
- 1/2 cup raw apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup water (for oily skin) or just 1 cup water (for dry skin).
- Add 20 drops total of geranium essential oil (tea tree for acne)
- Keep in a jar and dip a clean cotton ball into it for application on a clean face each time.