I have boys who are never full. I do not even finish cleaning the kitchen before they are back asking for more food. One way I’ve learned to counteract this is to make a drawer for them in the fridge. I fill it with fruit, ready to go veggies, cheese, yogurt. I also make muffins, like these apple streusel muffins.
I bake different muffins every 4 or 5 days, fill a bowl with them, and leave them on the counter as an anytime snack. My 9 year old eats at least 3 a day.
These Apple Streusel Muffins are good for you and taste great.
You can also drizzle a glaze over top of them. I don’t always because I want to keep it simple and don’t want the extra sugar, but it is super yummy that way too.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (you can use some other combination equaling 2 cups if you like)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/4 tsp homemade vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, peeled, tart apples (about 2 large)
- Streusel Topping
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 T flour
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 T cold butter
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1-2 T milk
- 1 tsp butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp homemade vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Combine in a bowl flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- In another bowl mix eggs, butter, and vanilla.
- Stir into dry ingredients until combined (don’t over mix).
- Fold in apples.
- Fill greased muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Combine ingredients for streusel. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-20 minutes (10 min if using mini muffin cups).
- Combine glaze ingredients.
- Drizzle glaze over muffins after they are completely cool.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!