My mom used to make this Chocolate Pudding Cake for us when we were little. It’s one of those that carries fond memories with it. I think she made it most when we had unexpected visitors and she wanted to put something delicious together quickly. No need for icing on this cake. It is a sweet chocolaty combination of cake and pudding.
This is made in three easy layers:
- wet cake mixture
- dry pudding mixture
- and hot water.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Chocolate Pudding Cake Step by Step with Pictures:
Heat the water. Yeah, you didn’t need a picture for that, but I was camera happy.
Mix your dry pudding mixture together:
Mix the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder together in a bowl. Combine eggs, sugar, butter, milk, vanilla extract and combine with flour mixture.
Spread cake mixture into the bottom of a greased 9in x 13in or similar sized pan.
Pour dry pudding mixture on top. No, my hands are not that little. I had a little helper.
Pour water gently over the top.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes or until the cake puffs and begins to pull away from the sides.
Here’s all the ingredients and details.
Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- 2 cups boiling water
- Heat the water and set aside.2 cups boiling water
- Combine the sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa for the pudding mixture and set aside.2/3 cup white sugar, 2/3 cup brown sugar, 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- Mix the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder together in a bowl.1-1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine eggs, sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl and then combine with flour mixture.2 eggs, 1/2 cup butter, 2/3 cup white sugar, 2/3 cup milk, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Spread cake mixture into the bottom of a greased 9in x 13in or similar sized pan. Sprinkle dry pudding mixture on top. Pour water gently over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes or until the cake puffs and begins to pull away from the sides.