Cole slaw is made with one of the strongest cancer fighting vegetables you can eat: cabbage! Just another reason to add this light and tangy recipe to your summer BBQ and family get togethers.
I admit it. I always avoided cole slaw because it just seemed too soupy for me. That and the mysterious potato salads and macaroni salads. I know. Forgive me. But they just seemed way too heavy. Over the past few years I have started giving these dishes a second chance and, wow, have I got some amazing cooks amongst my friends. Their creative ability of remaking potato or broccoli salad into a light dish with a punch of flavor astounded me (look out store bought creamy salads).
So I started playing around with cole slaw recipes. Why?
First, like I said above, the cabbage family – cruciferous – (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbages) are great cancer preventers. They have anti oxidant phytonutrients. They also contain isothiocyanates and indole-3-carbinol (technical words for kick butt cancer fighters). So, how could I NOT give Cole Slaw a try?? (I also make Homemade Sauerkraut and a Sauerkraut and Kielbasa Dish).
My second reason is because my husband likes Cole Slaw a lot, especially with BBQ anything. He’s been my taste tester. We’ve tweaked a few recipes and I think I’ve found a winner!!
- 2 cups Shredded Red Cabbage
- 2 cups Shredded Green Cabbage
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Honey
- ½ Lemon squeezed for juice
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Shred Red Cabbage, Green Cabbage, and Carrots into a large bowl.
- Mix in Greek Yogurt, salt, pepper, honey, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar.
- Chill until ready to serve
What to serve with this Light Cole Slaw Recipe with Greek Yogurt?
- Fried Chicken
- Grilled Chicken
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- BBQ Ribs
Here’s My Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe
or Check out this one from A Farmish Kind of Life
Check out some of these FABULOUS Recipes to go with your BBQ.
- Spring Corn Salsa from Angel’s Homestead
- Campfire Baked Beans from Cooke’s Frontier
- Summer Corn Salad from Herbal Academy of New England
- Southern Style Sweet Potatoes from The Frugal Chicken
- Mom’s Potato Salad from Angel’s Homestead
- Cucumber Cilantro Salad – From Me 🙂
- Dill Pickle Recipe – Also from Me
I can’t wait to hear what you think. If you are a Cole Slaw connoisseur then please tell me how you like it, what you might do differently, etc. That will just give us all fun ideas.